Sunday 26 January 2014

More Cheese things - Manchengo

Been looking around lately for something I can do during summer that's cheese related and planning some cheese things to take to Rowany Festival (both eating and making). I think I am going to go down the path of Manchego (a Spanish DOP cheese).

Now I don't have an easy source of sheep milk for the manchego, however I can get lipase from a lamb fairly easily. So I figure I will work with that as a nice substitute.

A link to the recipe I am going to try is here.
http://www.thebeveragepeople.com/pdf/webcheesepdf/Manchego%20Cheese.pdf


Random google searching tells me that this is a nice pre-1600 cheese (http://manchego-cheese.com/manchego-cheese-history/) though I still want to do a little more comprehensive investigation to get some more document-able evidence for that.

Give's me a couple more feathers in my cap. Its Spanish (which I've never made any cheese of before), it's a sheep's milk cheese and its a mixed culture cheese.Not to mention the fact that because I can't access a ready supply of sheep's milk I will need to experiment with lipase for the first time to get the flavour right.

Research:
As I mentioned I have done some very basic searching to see if this is a pre-1600 cheese. I am pretty sure that it is, but all the references so far have had no evidence to back it up. They all seem to say "archeological evidence suggests" but don't have any references.

(http://www.cheesemaking.com/Hispanico.html)

So I am going to continue to dig away and see whats what, and what I can find archeologically! Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment