Wednesday 24 December 2014

New project - some cheese/milk related research

Lately I have been looking at recipes that use milk. In the most part to find more period descriptions of cheese making.

Now in that investigation I have a few times read someones redaction and gone hmmm, that's not the right cheese for that time period or location. So as an attempt to understand the wide variety of redactions to recipes and to also look at the cheeses used and methods for making them I am gathering what I can from the period sources as well as any redactions I can find for them.

All these will end up in a database so that I can do some structured research on who, what and when. Must be the data analyst in me :)

I've barely scratched the surface so far (an entire 50 recipes) but found some interesting things, such as 5 different but exceptionally similar recipes for 'Snow'. Spread across both timeframes and locations.

Many sources to gather into my tables, but a good start. Need to work out a bit of a classification system to make the groupings a little easier, but moving forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment