Tuesday 27 August 2013

Some more of the old...

I am frequently torn between my loves and obsessions. It is a constant battle between the early and late period jewellery and decoration.And I honestly have no preference for any time period, I just love the shinys!

Byzantine has been one of my drooling points for some time. They did awesome beadwork and jewellery. They did a wide variety and they did it for both sex's. Which is a definite appeal to me.

One piece I made some time ago was a recreation of this necklace:






Byzantine necklace of gold wire, pearls, amethyst and green glass beads (Field Museum of Natural History)

I did take some liberties with it, mostly because I did not have anything to replace the two large round clasp feature pieces. And this is what my recreation looked like (front lefthand side):


Unfortunately I currently don't have a better picture of this, but hopefully I will be able to liberate it from its new owner (Mistress Portia) and take a better pic soon.

Details, details. The original is gold with pearls, amethyst and green glass beads. Mine is coated white metal wire, black, amethyst and red glass beads, pearls and cast silver plated quad-loops. I hand wound the clasp and made the connecting chain from links I already had.

Like I said I did take some liberties. Mostly as cost saving measures, but also to please my eye aesthetically. It was a lot of fun to make this. I enjoy wire work, even when it is hard on my hands!

The decision on the type of clasp to make for this was based on other pieces of jewellery from the same period, and I basically substituted one for the other.






No comments:

Post a Comment