Tuesday 27 August 2013

CHEESE!

Well not just cheese. But many things milk related.

Pentathlon has been lots and lots of fun, with cheese totally capturing my imagination.

The product was milk our outputs so far have been:

Hard Cheese - Gouda x2, Asiago x2, Bra Tenero, Haloumi and a hard goats cheese.
Soft Cheese - Quark!
Other - Butter (salted and unsalted versions) and Ghee/Clarified butter (salted and unsalted versions)


What we still plan to do:

Ale Cheese (a hard and a soft variety, which also nicely uses mead so we are planning to make this cheese using the mead we made earlier as part of pentathlon)
Quark (a couple of versions with herbs and spices for different flavours)
Cheese glue (including making the quicklime)
Kefir (fizzy milk drink)
Bog butter

We've had so much fun so far.

Personally, I now have a cheese cupboard which I intend to fill with hard cheeses until I can't stand it no mores! I already have plans for making some cheese for the St Valentine's event I am running next year as well as plans for a camp fire/over a weekend cheese making experience at some point.

Tomorrow I am teaching a basic butter making class (which is mostly a modern easy version, but discussing how it was made during medieval and earlier times). Which should be fun too. I have bough a bookcase worth of new books to paw-over as I learn this new skill.





Not to mention the plans regarding tea....

No comments:

Post a Comment