Tuesday 27 August 2013

Vendel Brooch for Portia

Just before Mistress Portia vanished of this continent to swan around in the UK (a few weeks ago), she asked me to make something for her for Raghlan Faire.

Based on Vendel finds and as per the pics here:

http://cathyscostumeblog.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/useful-knowledge-from-nrre-sandegard.html

What I came up with was this:






This was put together partly from my Great Bead Stash From Hell and partly harvesting from the beads Portia had given me to make other apron dress decorations (which are from her personal collection) which are below.


The brooch was made using silk thread for strength and durability, as well as it being a time appropriate material. My preference for most things like this would be to use tiger tail wire, for pure strength. The apron dress accessories were all done on wire. Other than silk I would have used wool thread or possibly heavy linen thread as well.

Was really quite simple to make. Took about 3 or 4 hours all up (spaced over a day with some good periods of procrastination in between). I was very, very glad to have the bone spacers in my Stash which worked perfectly. Portia liked it, I enjoyed making it. All win!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, where did you find the bone(?) pieces you're using for the bead-spreaders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I think (but am not 100% sure) that they were a harvest from an old necklace I picked up in a secondhand shop at some point in time. I have about 20 of them. I think they 'appeared' in the Great Bead Stash from Hell about the same time as the bone camel beads, which were definitely an old necklace harvest. So possibly related.

      Delete