Thursday 9 May 2013

Playing - Russian Bead Embroidery

Russian Bead Embroidery

Began playing with doing some of this last night. Made it up with leftover bits and pieces randomly in my collection, but it was surprisingly quick and 'easy'.

Did a simple straight piece, about 8cm long. I used some white wool for the base, glass pearls couched on top and some random braid for edging. Took about 1.5 hrs, with figuring out how to do anything because I have never couched before! lol



Couple of things I learned.

Firstly use a little less of the wool padding or at least have the braid your using before you start a project and get enough padding to suit. Whilst the 'lumpy crap' I was using actually turned out fine, it sat a little too high with the braid.

Secondly. I will need some practice with hiding the ends of the braid. That was a bit fail.

Thirdly. A certain amount of tension is needed with keeping the pearls in place whilst couching them down. You need three hands to do this effectively. Or you need a bulldog clip :)

I used yellow (hideous hideous yellow) thread so that I could see all my work and learn from what I did. That worked pretty well. I was surprised at how many stitches you see underneath the piece.

What I did was quite a simple piece. Whilst doing it I had thoughts of how to manage longer lengths of wadding for the pattern, using a cotton crochet thread instead of the wool (as I see others do on occasions), how to fit larger patterns onto a single frame (you DEF need a frame), where to get more appropriate braid from (and checked out some examples where they used more seed beads couched to the sides).

All in all I enjoyed this. I surprised myself with an ability to couch quite effectively (to my complete novice eyes at least). And it looks very pretty too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment