Thursday 9 May 2013

Project 3 - Beaded banner

Beaded Banner

A little while ago I came across some random offcuts of fabric for a $1 each. Not really enough to anything 'big' with one piece called out to me for bannering!

The Planning

This one piece has a lovely diamond shaped geometric pattern. I am pretty sure it is synthetic. But fairly heavy and will hang nice a flat. About 80cm x 1.2m piece.


Given I am going to line the back of this once done and how heavy the fabric is I decided to draw my intended pattern in pencil on the back. Made it much easier to visualize and plan!!

Very geometric (which appeals to me) and therefore very rinse and repeat.


All following a simple base design. I've seen this motif used across a number of periods, with the earliest being a viking weaving example. So pretty comfy with the pattern holding up to some scrutiny ;-)

Once I'd mapped out what I intended to do I started playing around with design of the actual beading. I have done the beading in 'sections' rather than as a whole for the most part, ie the centre motif was first, followed by the small two square separators. So far I've decided what will be done for each of those sections, with the rest to come.








Completed Areas



I've been keeping a basic track of time its been taking me to do this. So far I have completed the centre motif and am about to start on the two-square pieces.















The centre motif outline has taken around 15 working hours. It does look awesome though!

Next step is to do the two-square parts and I will start on that probably this weekend. Very exciting.


No comments:

Post a Comment