Sunday 26 May 2013

Polit Pentathalon

I figured I should write something up about this. Particularly as it has taken up so very much of my focus this year and has been very fun!

Briefly - the Barony has a internal A&S competition this year. At the start of the year, groups of 5 individuals chose 4 random items each and all groups were given a single universal item (Bone). Each group is tasked with presenting items from the 5 given at 5 points throughout the year.Each presentation is judged and at the end of the year the group with the highest score wins.

My group is Sew & Swear. This group is a A&S regular gathering which I host weekly. We're all friends and it made sense to put in together. Our random items were Sugar, Honeycomb, Milk and Flax. So far we have done presentations on two of these items, Sugar and Honeycomb.

My personal accomplishments have been: I tracked the process of making a sugar cone from cane and then brewed some mead (first time I had brewed anything!). I did have bigger plans for the Honeycomb phase but got my call up for surgery before I could implement them and was out for 6-weeks.

But I also helped with many of the other things that others led. All in all we did:

Sugar cone (with history of sugar and sugar production)
Macaroons
Sugar Cakes (served with honey-whipped cream)
Payn Ragoun (fudge)


Sry Michael of Yorks Mead
Saville Mead
Claree
Ypocras
Oxyporum (salad and medicinal)
Wood, Leather and Metal treatments
How to grey hair dark
Baldness cure


We've had a heap of fun doing all these things. I have been very obsessed with the sugar side of things and I planning to run a demonstration later this year. I have also been preemptively experimenting with the flax side of things and did a small attempt to process some linseed oil from seed (following Theopholis sp?) in March this year. I will do up a little specific thing on the sugar production and the linseed oil a little later.

Bone is next on our list. With Milk and then Flax to follow. So more to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment